Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Africa: Part 5 "A Surprise Return"

I was glad to leave our sketchy hotel in Awassa, where I had seen the first cockroach in my life, to head back to our comfortable Ethiopian Guest house in Addis.  The bumpy four hour drive was well worth it and I got to see more of this beautiful country.

  To my great surprise, we had a change in our itinerary and we were headed back to KORAH today!!!!  I was a bit torn emotionally. I had already said my hard good-bye to Teshome and told him we were not coming back.  I wanted him to trust what I said, but I also wanted so badly to spend time with him again.  How would I let him know I was there?  Our vans pulled into Korah and headed to the Mission Ethiopia building my team had painted the other day.  We were there to meet the women that make the beads for this great program of provision with in Korah.  We had not been there three minutes when I looked back at the door in the gate and saw Teshome push his way through wearing the biggest smile on his face.  He ran to me grabbing on for dear life and I could feel his body shaking.  I can not imagine what was going through his mind when he heard we were back, but I guess he had forgiven me for not keeping my word this time. 

   Teshome and I walked around meeting the women and seeing their craft with our arms around each other.  He didn't want to leave my side and I watched out for him as if he were my own child and not what he actually was; a child left to roam the streets daily on his own.  I could see the glow in his eyes as I would look for him and call him to come stand with me.  Someone looking for him, wanting to be with him, enjoying his company, and thinking about him.  My heart breaks that he doesn't have that everyday.

    We stepped outside of the small building for a few minutes to play frisbee with the one I brought for him to replace the broken one they use at home to fan their coffee.  He asked me to sit down outside and then did something I may never forget in my whole life.  He took one of his only possessions, a thin cheep silver chain, off his neck and placed it around mine.  I started to protest but quickly stopped.   He wanted to show his gratitude and that was all he had to give.  In worldly standards that piece of jewelry is worth nothing, but it is now one of my most prized possessions.  Such a sweet boy!


Together, we watched a man who's fingers had been taken to almost nothing from leprosy weave beautiful mats and another man using a loom to make scarves.  The women let us help shine some beads and I asked Teshome to join us, which he seemed thrilled to be a part of the action.  As we stood in one of the doorways together watching everyone, Teshome got quiet and I could tell the next words were painful for him.  He felt I had already giving him more than anyone else and yet he knew I was still the only one that could would fill his next need.  Reluctantly he asked, "Andrea, new shoes?"  As I looked down at his feet I noticed the shoes that at first glance seemed okay were actually coming apart at the bottom and clearly too small for him.  I didn't hesitate to tell him yes... why would I say no?  It's hard here though, it's not like I could just run to the mall or order some online and have them shipped to him.  Even so, I looked him in the eye and promised to find a way to get him a pair. 

  Saying good-bye, this time for good, sent me to the van to shed tears I did not want him to see.  I'm so glad I came.  I'm so glad I saw.  I know better how to guide him.  I know how to better help him. 

  The next day I boarded a plane to Uganda with a heavy heart.  I hadn't found shoes at the airport and I didn't know what this new relationship with Teshome meant.  Was he okay in Korah?  Was I supposed to do more?  My heart said to get him out, but my mind told me to butt out.  I prayed for clarity for my next steps in this matter.  I walked down the aisle to my seat and found that I was sharing my row with a friendly looking young man.  His name was Andrew and he is from South Sudan.  As we talked, I found out he is going to college in Atlanta and this is his first time home in three years.  Curious, I asked how he found his way to Atlanta?  He opened up and told me his story.  He grew up in a loving but poor family.  It was through his sponsor family that he was able to go to school and learn to dream big.  After he finished high school, his sponsor family asked if he would like to go to college near them in the states.  He said he danced and shouted because he was so excited.  Andrew lives at the university, but spends breaks and holidays at his "family's" house.  It was then that God brought down the walls of timidness and I was ready to open my heart fully to Teshome.  We were placed together for a reason and I have to fight for him.  There is no one else dedicated to fighting just for him.  On the plane, I composed an email to P61 about my desire to move Teshome to the boarding school.  Even though the school is full right now and the decision is up to the team in Ethiopia, the ultimate decision is up to God.  I have circled this in prayer and I'm not coming out until Teshome is out of Korah!

   I searched the rest of the trip to find him shoes, but found nothing suitable to play soccer and last the rainy season.  On our last day in Uganda, I cleaned up my sneakers, stuffed four pair of socks in them, tied them neatly together and pinned a letter to the front.  It was a bold letter filled with encouragement, Goldy truth, and motherly love.  My leader was headed back to Ethiopia for a few months, so I gently packed them in her bag and cannot wait until they are on his sweet feet. 

   Teshome is a part of our family now and after this trip I truly love him with the "mom" side of my heart.  I would encourage any of you that have sponsor children to meet them.  You have no idea the impact it will have on both of you!  If you can't visit, write often.  Your words are more powerful than you know!

1 comment:

  1. tears flowing. i want to talk to you in person about this post! i love this post, and relate more than you can know to this post. love you, friend! thank you for sharing your journey in words.

    ReplyDelete