Saturday, June 23, 2012

Africa: Part 2 "Teshome"

Today my heart broke in Korah!  After arriving and visiting the Alert Hospital and doing a bit of shopping there, I asked one of our guides to find our eleven-year-old sponsor child, Teshome.  My heart has been literally about to burst this whole last week just thinking and preparing for our meeting.  My group headed out to do a home visit with one of our leader's friends in the village.  When we arrived back at the Mission Ethiopia building, Teshome was there waiting for me!  It felt good to finally be able to wrap my arms around him!

     We had such a beautiful time together set away from the other children and even from my group.  We stayed in the courtyard outside the building my team was painting and got to know each other.  Teshome speaks a little English, so we had a translator sitting near by to help us get our conversation started but in no time we were able to communicate just fine on our own.  As soon as other people were not around, he was in my arms as much as possible and saying the most wonderful, "I love you, Andrea"s I have ever heard.  Words that held much more behind them than I first imagined. 

    As the day went on, we talked, I shared photos, we sang, and he taught me a little dance.  I brought with me a bible that I had his name engraved on and I gave that to him.  He held that bible as if it were gold that I had just placed in his hands.  We talked of God, he asked me to read to him and so I did, making sure to read John 3:16 and also about God giving hope and purpose for his life.  We talked of God's love and how He will never leave him.  At this point his thank you was more of a whisper... to hold back a cry.
We talked of animals, numbers, and my kids.  He asked me to kiss my whole family for him when I get home.  He told me his parent's and sibling's names and looked so happy as he talked of them.  It made me so excited to finally meet his family that I have longed to meet for about a year now.  It was only when the translator that knew Teshome came by and informed me about Teshome's mother that the facts I thought I knew started to unravel.  A year ago when we decided to sponsor, we were thrilled to be able to sponsor a child to go to school that had a family unit at home. We loved the idea of helping a family that maybe would not be able to keep their child if it weren't for the help.  We thought we were keeping a child from becoming an orphan.  It wasn't until I spoke with Teshome's uncle later that day that I learned of his mother's death six years ago, his father was in prison, and his siblings were all over and they had no idea where.  This story Teshome tells of his family is one he wishes was still true, but in reality all of that is gone.  He now lives with his aunt and uncle who are able to give him a place to stay but nothing beyond that.  I hadn't realized the major support system we were for Teshome.  My role just kicked up a notch.

   After laughing and playing all morning, Teshome lovingly and protectively lead me through the streets of Korah to his aunt and uncle's house.  I was happy to see that he lives in a safer home than most.  There are metal gates that lock and I will sleep better knowing he is protected.  It's a two room home that does have electricity, in fact they have a tv that the uncle could not take his eyes off Ethiopian Idol the whole time.  It was in this room where the uncle spilled the beans on the story Teshome had worked so hard to protect in his mind.  This young boy sat in a quiet defeat on the chair set by the back door as he listened to his uncle so easily talking of his broken family.  As I looked into his eyes, I could see that bright spark that had been present all morning was now gone.  The uncle couldn't remember when the mother had died to which the sad boy in the corner whispered, "six years ago."  I'm glad Teshome had someone to take him in and give him a bed, but my heart breaks for this beautiful, funny boy who still longs for his family.  It was at this moment I realized I am more than just a sponsor to him now.  My words shared earlier in the day were not words shared by strangers, they were words from a mother figure and hugs and kisses that I now see he was desperate for.  This was heavy for me!  I wanted so badly to run away from it all and at the same time never leave!

   The aunt made us feel at home and offered us some lunch.  Every part of my brain said NOT TO EAT THE FOOD, but in my heart I knew it would be rude to not at least try some.  So while the food was in my mouth I said a little prayer for my stomach and swallowed.  I'm not going to promise that I didn't get sick a few days later, but I will say that I am just fine now and would do it over again if I had to.  She then started a traditional Ethiopian coffee ceremony for us.  The process takes about an hour and starts outside with the "coffee pot" on a bed of coals.  Teshome stood forever fanning the coals with a broken frisbee, all the while looking so proud to be able to offer something back to me.  Since the uncle clearly was too involved with Ethiopian Idol for much conversation, I made my way to the back to sit with Teshome.  He was a different kid at home.  So quiet, so serious... unless no one else was looking and then we would wink and smile at each other.  It became a bit of a game even when we were back in the living room and he had to sit by the back door.  In these moments, I still felt like it was just he and I.... I wish it had been.  I could not tell if his aunt and uncle wanted us there.  The aunt seemed sweet but shy and the uncle other than thanking me for sending T to school and feeding him because he could not, was not interested in much more conversation.  As we waited for the coffee, my friends Erin and April and the translator had some fun conversation. During our wait for the coffee, I brought out gifts for the family.  I thought there would be more kids so there were many snacks, and I handed the love gift I brought for "the mom" to the aunt.  This was right because she had been raising him and made it a point to tell me that she loves him in her heart. 

    The coffee was the best I have ever had!  I couldn't tell you if it was actually the best or it just seemed that way because of the hands that had made it or the company I was keeping, but it goes down as #1 cup of coffee in my book.  The custom is to have three small cups of coffee before you can leave, but unfortunately our time was up after two cups and I had to rejoin my group.  Teshome walked me protectively and proudly through the streets back to the church were we had to say our good-byes.  In that moment I thought it would be the last I would see him on this trip and he thought the same thing.  When his friends were not looking he would give me the biggest hugs and gush I love you's, but then his buddies would come around the corner and he would play it cool... I guess being twelve is universal.


     I want so much more for this wonderful boy!  As I left Korah that day I was confused about all that I had learned and seeking answers about what I was supposed to do next for him.  Answers would start to come soon...




3 comments:

  1. Ahhh! Cliff hangers are so not fair! ;) {even though I know what's coming :) }

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! I LOVE him! I want to reach through the computer and hug him! I am glad you brought him such happiness while you were there and he knows you will continue to support him! I loved the dance!! Truly amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea- This story (and the one about him above) is amazing. What a tremendous gift you are to him and vice versa.

    ReplyDelete