Monday, June 25, 2012

Africa: Part 4 "Walk to Water"

This was the day I was a little confused about before I started the trip.  It wasn't an orphanage and these kids had families that loved them.  Wasn't water a whole separate issue?  The answer is no.  You really can't experience Africa for any reason and not see their water, hear their stories, and be changed.  So many African's stories include water, it's our most basic need.  How many of you include water as a part of your story?  We just assume it will be available and clean.  This is not a give in for most of the world.

The team started out on the hour and a half drive crammed into 2 vans instead of 3 because one team member was sick and had to stay behind. We left a driver and a van behind in case she needed anything.

About an hour in we hit the village of Chuko and we were transformed onto driving fish bowls. In these remote areas they rarely see white people so this was like the circus driving through town. I didn't mind, it was kind of fun to see the looks on their faces.  As we turned down the road to get to the very remote part of Chuko, it was quickly apparent that our vans were not going to make it. Our drivers own their vans so were not interested in ruining their livelihood.  We piled into three Land Rovers and I was in the way back sitting in the side seats with four of us back there...very cozy. One of the guys from A Glimmer Of Hope was in the back with us and he thought we were a little crazy. He told us if it rained we would be stuck out there over night.  For some reason I really hoped for that. What a story that would have been.  I might be getting more adventurous in my old age.  I loved the amusement park like ride through the mud, slipping and sliding all over, and then delivering us to our destination in a way only a Land Rover could. It made me laugh to myself thinking of all the Land Rovers that drive around my neighborhood. How silly to think you need a vehicle like that in Rock Creek, Colorado! I saw that vehicle in all it's glory today and thought Neil and his dad would love this!!

We drove the Land Rovers as far as vehicles can go and then parked by the main water point and guard station waiting for its transformer. An ambassador from Glimmer lead us around the village to visit all the future water points and to see the progress of the project. It was more emotional than I thought it would be. This water project was started by one of my leaders, Julie Neal. It's called Dig Deep. This remote village is near and dear to her heart because her son was born here. When she first visited Chuko and saw their need, she wanted to help her new family in Africa. You see, not only does she know where her son if from, she knows his extended family. Grandpa met us at the main point and  greeted us and at the first water point we met Grandma and the rest of the family. Grandma gives the best hugs, but of course she does because that's what grandmas do!  We went into their hut and it was as dark as dark gets. It was not until my flash went off that I realized there was a cow next to me! It was amazing to see this beautiful story of adoption, love, giving back, and true family. This family starts their water story with the birth of their grandson (we saw right where he was born) and the journey that led the Neal family back to them. Julie told them she loved them and saw them as one family now. Grandpa replied that he knows that because she is showing them through  bringing them water (life). You see, two other people have promised water to this village and then did not deliver. Water equals life for these people. Health and life equals love between these transcontinental families. The Neal family could have adopted and never tried to follow the  information to bring them back to look into the same eyes and smile from their son on his grandmother. An extended family was waiting for them on the end of their search.  Grandparents who love this child and want to know that he is healthy and getting an education. How lucky this boy is to have two families that love him so much.

We started our walk around the six water points and I felt a little hand slip into mine. I think she had been dared by one of her friends to touch the white lady because they all giggled. She must have been the bravest one because then she lifted my hand and kissed it and they all laughed in disbelief. Thinking I could one up that, I lifted her hand and kissed it. The girls roared thinking this the funniest and craziest thing they ever saw. We were bonded together for the day now.

The road was slick because it had rained the day before and made up of what looks like red clay that I hope will never totally come off of my shoes.  I was thankful I had good shoes on. Then I looked at the children walking the whole way with us and most had no shoes at all. They walked faster and better than most of us. Some children has shoes but most didn't match. There were little ones no older than Ian and Finn that didn't even ask to be carried.  I walked with two of the most giggly girls (teasing me about blowing my hair out of my eyes) past beautiful flowers and lots of coffee plants. I never dreamed that my wish of seeing coffee plants and drinking coffee in Ethiopia would ever be so sweet. God took my dream and multiplied it by about 1000!
The huts we walked past were so different than what we had been driving past and where we had been walking the last few days.  There was such pride in their community.  This was a community of families that were all together.  Grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, elders, respected leaders, and a real sense of togetherness.  There was such pride in their homes, lawns, animals, and crops.  It was beautiful!!

The children spoke no English and I was finding it hard to really connect other than holding hands and giggling with them. We did teach each other a few words but even that was hard with these kids. They almost never see white people and really have no need for English. As I walked I thought about what my twins at home would like to do with me that helps us bond even though we don't speak the same language. So...we sang. Well kind of. In other places the children all knew Jesus Loved Me and This Is The Day, but here they did not. So I went to the ba-ba song from Gymboree. I sang and they repeated. I started with about 6 kids and within seconds there were about 20 kids around soaking up the connection. I lost track of the rest of my team and found myself so present with these kids. We laughed and sang and smiled and were joyful. This will always be one of the most joyful moments of my life!

When we got to the next water point, I wanted to take a picture of our feet together. After that I thought how about our hands. As soon as I put our hands in a circle the children started playing a game I remember from elementary school where you keep putting hands higher and higher as fast as you can. We laughed and played and the children's faces of staring and wondering about these strange white faces melted into that universal laughter and excitement.  Holding hands and walking is great, but laughter and play is priceless.

The VO team had not been drinking water on our walk because we didn't want to offend the locals by easily pulling out our clean water bottles and drinking as we walked, but we were all about to pass out from the walk. We moved fast on this walk because we had to beat the rain that had "deciding it was time for it to come." I was so thankful to hear Courtney from A Glimmer Of Hope tell us to yes please drink up our water so we can leave behind our water bottles for them. I chugged two so I could hydrate and also leave two behind. You would have thought we were handing out Play Stations in the US the way these children would long for these bottles.

After seeing all the water points and the reservoir, it was time to go to the water source that they currently use.  We had men helping us down the steep embankment, but at the bottom we saw the women who fill these incredibly heavy water jugs and carry them up and down the slick clay path without help. I was in awe of these women. Today I learned a universal characteristic of mothers and women everywhere.  We will do whatever we need to provide from our families. Water is the first physical need of every human and these old women are still willing to meet that need the best they can. This muddy infested water flowed abundantly over the waterfall today, but they said in the non rainy season it's a mere trickle. Once the water pumps provide clean water to the sources, the walk will be much shorter, water much cleaner, and a more reliable source for these people.

Our walk continued to the center of town where the best  chairs in town were set up under the cool shade of a huge tree for the guests of honor...us. I have never felt so welcome in my life! This was such a safe place to be and a much needed emotionally different kind of day. This was a day of J-O-Y!!!
At the beginning of the reception, an older boy brought out sliced pineapple for us, so we each took a piece as the village sat in the lush green grass across the way staring at us.  Grandpa came over to me and said "eat, eat!" So I did. Then the Glimmer person said not to eat it. So I stopped. Then my leader said it was okay because it was pealed and we don't want to offend them. So I ate. Then the Glimmer person explained that yes it's pealed but we don't know the contamination that could be on the utensils used to slice it. I stopped...for good now, and said a little prayer for my tummy. The children we shared the fruit with after the speeches loved that juicy pineapple. It was SO good I really wanted it, but knowing that I had 6 hours of driving in my next 24 hours helped me to hold back from stuffing it in my face.

It was time to load up in the Land Rovers but not before I gave some candy, towels, and tennis balls to the preacher in the village to distribute. I did this to show my respect for his leadership and to not promote begging in this peaceful and polite community.  Then it was on to the coffee ceremony they had prepared for us in town. They prepared so much food for us but my stomach was feeling so good and I wanted to stay that way, so I didn't want to risk a large meal. I had some bread, a banana, and a Sprite. Outside I had an AMAZING cup of coffee made by a beautiful Ethiopian woman and realized that was exactly the "bucket list" thing I had hoped for. Better than a cafe in town, but not as special as Teshome's coffee.






 Click here is you would like to donate to this project. Every penny you donate through this organization goes directly to the project!!








1 comment: