Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Who, What, When, Where, Why?



What is this auction for and where are you going?
It occurred to me that not all of my friends may know why I'm doing an online auction and what the money goes towards.  While keeping this brief, here are some details.
Four year ago, I went on my first missions trip to Ethiopia and Uganda.  I had no clue what I was doing and felt shockingly out of place in my surroundings.  Wow, fast forward four years and three more trips and I can't wait to get back to Korah, the trash dump community in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.  Many years I still go to Uganda, but this year it had to be put off until maybe this winter, so I will talk about Ethiopia here.

I go to Ethiopia with an organization called Out of the Ashes.  They have 400+ kids in their program which provided first and foremost an excellent education, but they also care for the whole child/family.

I can't talk about Ethiopia without talking about Teshome.  Neil and I started sponsoring Teshome five years ago and since then I have had the privilege to spend time with him each summer.  He has grown up so much!  Teshome is an orphan who lives at the shelter when he is not at his boarding school in the country side.  Teshome is family and we talk about him and treat him as such.  I can't imagine our life without him. The two pictures below are 2012 vs 2015.






My work always looks different there.  Some years I am updating sponsorship profiles while another year I taught a bible study.  This year I am on an art team.  Not arts and crafts ;)
We are going to be doing art therapy type projects with drawing, painting, and maybe even some music. Whatever the work, it is always a great time of encouragement. 

 One of the best things about going to the same place year after year is visiting with kids and families.  Sitting in people's homes and catching up since we have seen each other is one of my favorite things...especially since it usually involves the best coffee in the world!

 Even though I enjoy my travels to Ethiopia and the work I am doing there very much, know that it is no vacation.  I work hard, I try to learn and understand the culture better each year so I can know how best to help.  These kids and I are growing together and they teach me so much.  Here's to another successful year!





No comments:

Post a Comment