Thursday, October 24, 2013

Korah Clinic


Day 6 was a great day.  I'm going to post the blog straight from my journal...that way I get to go right back to that day with all of you :)

"Today was a GREAT day!  Wanting to do something to help the guest house workers during their sad week, Brian made breakfast for us like only a southerner can do.  Fried chicken breasts with gravy and eggs over medium...yummm!

We were late getting to Korah, so we started right in with VBS.  Things are so comfortable with Teshome now.  No grand greetings, we find each other, stay together, and look like we have always been together.  When I spend time with other kids as VBS he doesn't leave...he is more confident that I am there for him and will always come back to him.  This kind of comfortable is good.

Tigist brought her sister Salam today like I had asked her to do, so after VBS while lunch was being served, I took the girls to the clinic to see Kayla.  Since the girls are not a part of a program they do not eat lunch and they also do not have access to the clinic without paying so visits there are impossible for their family.

I crossed the Korah street with Salam in my arm and holding Tigist by the hand.  If they were going to come through the guarded gate with me it had to be clear they were with me.  When I went through the orange clinic gate the first thing I saw was Kendra standing on the porch with a sweet little girl.  My heart was about to burst.  My first thought was "THIS is why we are best friends!"  This is so Kendra and what I love about her.  Neither of us had a clue the other one was headed to the clinic.  Kendra's little friend had a gash in her hand and others with us had seen that as well.  What Kendra was able to see that others missed was the little girl's response time.  She tripped, wobbled, and fell over a lot.  Kendra witnessed her not moving for a car until it was RIGHT in front of her.  She couldn't see.  The cut on her hand was from a trip and fall that might have been prevented if she could have seen the road better.  Watching Kendra's heart breaking through emotion while explaining these things to Kayla, who works at the clinic, was really touching and I knew she was forever changed in that moment.  It was a really special moment to share.

Kayla said the little girl would have to go to Alert Hospital for an eye exam and glasses.  Kendra and I quickly pooled our money together for this expensive visit.  Luckily, I had some donations in my backpack ready for just such an opportunity.  Kayla then sent for the girl's mother so she could give her instructions.

Meanwhile, Tigist, Salam and I sat patiently as a few others had their turn being seen.  Salam was a little frightened but her big sister did a nice job keeping her calm and letting her know that it was important to be there.  Salam's fingertip had now swollen even more and she was running a fever.  As we were waiting, Teshome showed up.  He came into the exam room with the girls and I and watched intently everything that Kayla did.  Salam needed antibiotics to fight whatever infection was taking over, so Kayla sent Tigist to bring their mother to the clinic.  When the mother showed up, Kayla was able to explain that Salam had an infection and needed medicine.  I noticed that the mother was surprised to see the finger.  I'm sure Salam didn't even show her.  What would be the point, her mother could not have afforded to take her to the clinic. Kayla showed her how much medicine to give her and when to give it to her.  Because Salam was not a part of a program, I used more of the donations money to pay her bill.  I'm thankful her infection would not get worse and her pain would soon be gone.  Praise God for putting the girl in my path and letting me be His hands guiding her to the clinic.  I'm so thankful there was a clinic to take her to!!

Kayla let Teshome and I stay and watch the next few patients.  One boy had a terrible gash on his calf.  He had been at the trash dump and a garbage truck scrapped leg when he got too close, trying to fight for the first of the food off the truck I'm sure.  Teshome has dreams of being a doctor and so Kayla explained the whys of everything she was doing.  He seemed to really love it.

Today's good-byes were not hard.  Today was a good day and Teshome and I knew we would both see each other again.  I won't see him until Saturday so it was just a "see you in two days" good-bye."

***Update***
Kendra got a message on facebook yesterday from Emily who runs the clinic in Korah.  The little girl saw the doctor and has a pair of prescription glasses coming this week!!!  We had been concerned that she had more serious issues, but the doctor seems to think it was just her sight.  Wow!!!  Kendra was truly the hands and feet of Jesus that day for the girl.  Her life will change so much.  I know Kendra wished she could be there as she puts her glasses on for the first time and walks down the road.  There is a whole new world waiting for her :) Can't wait to see her next time I'm in Korah!


No comments:

Post a Comment