Sunday, May 26, 2013

Packing 101

As I prepare for my missions trip this summer, I have to pace myself because I get so excited that I just want to pack my bags and get on a plane!  However, there is still a bit of planning to be done before the fun can begin.  Speaking of packing bags, that will be the hardest part for me.  We are allowed 2 fifty pound bags to check and one will be filled with dresses headed to Uganda from In My Mother's Honor while the other one will be filled with things for the ministries we will work with in Ethiopia and gifts for some kids over there sent from sponsors here in the states.  Where will my two weeks worth of clothes and things be packed?  Those will be in my carry on and a backpack.  Okay, I know if my dad just read this while drinking coffee, that coffee has now been spit all over the computer and I'm sorry about that. 

These trips are all about being stretched.  Stretched emotionally, spiritually, physically, and evidently I am going to working on my traveling skills A TON this year.  Let me share a little story with you.  Twelve years ago (today in fact) Neil and I were married.  We headed out on our glamorous honeymoon to Jamaica with all five pieces of our new luggage for our one week vacation.  When we arrived in Jamaica, several Jamaicans laughed at us asking if all that luggage was for us.  We didn't get the joke...now I do.  How silly we must have looked.  What an embarrassing display of Americanism we were. 

The years have changed me a lot and I will be so glad to show up in Africa with four pieces of luggage and having almost none of it be for me.  So when you see pictures this summer and I'm in the same outfit again...and again, you will smile at all the growth that is happening in me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment